Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Make it Personal

Does it occur to you how many people you don't know? I mean, you know their names, basic info, but that's it- that's where it ends. Just think about all the people you interact with on a daily basis. Some could be called friends, other colleagues, others- mere acquaintances. In the last year I have "interacted" pretty regularly with hundreds of people. Hundreds of people that I could tell you some basics about- but that's it. Just basics of name, general personality, married or single, major, and maybe a couple of things they liked or disliked. But that's it really. We never seemed to cross the bridge into intimacy. Yet, I have been privileged to reach an almost incomprehensible intimacy with others. We know each other's hopes, dreams, fears, strengths, weaknesses. I have obtained some of the greatest insight, growth, and inspiration through such intimate relationships. I have felt unimaginable love, support, and strength thanks to these beloved friends.

Why the dichotomy? Lack of time? Lack of energy? Lack of opportunity? Well, that I can't answer for sure. But I do know there have been opportunities for such intimacy that I have not taken advantage of. Opportunities to make it... real. personal. intimate. I hope to change that. I am surrounded by a special elite right now in my life. I need to make it personal.

No comments: