Friday, March 27, 2009

Abortion

I've had a couple of questions asked about my opinion on this topic so let me maybe clarify my own position on abortion- I do think that abortion under certain circumstances may be necessary to consider- for example, if the health of the mother is threatened or in examples of rape or incest. However, what I am strongly against is the growing frequency of abortions because of lack of responsibility on the part of sexually active teenagers and adults. I think we need to teach responsibility, not encourage the opposite by creating a culture of "it doesn't matter what I do today because I can always change my mind tomorrow". Already we are becoming a society in which we can get out of almost anything. We are becoming a nation of no consequences- there is always a way out. Abortion reflects this attitude. It is a consequence of actions that we can easily avoid. A baby- a consequence of sexual action- is easily avoided by killing it. Granted, I do not envy any woman who has an abortion because I believe it is a difficult experience for any woman. However, where 60 years ago, US culture considered abortion an appalling practice, it is now commonly accepted by the general population as a normal medical procedure. This demise is one that reflects a growing apathy towards responsibility and an embracement of "fixability".

I do not want to live in a country where abortions become just as normal as ordering lunch. There are circumstances where it may be necessary, I understand that. Determining when it is appropriate and not is difficult to determine and left to many biases. However, I do advocate for stricter laws regarding abortion. Procreation in this country needs to be met with more responsibility and respect. I read a statistic recently that said only 40% of sexually active teenagers use a condom. I find that statistic scary. With the risk of STDs, AIDS, and pregnancy, this statistic should be much higher. Why are we not pushing more for teens and adults alike to be sexually responsible? Condom use and birth control would certainly lower the need for abortions, not to mention decrease the spread of STDs and AIDS. Let's not abolish the right for a woman to have an abortion, but do let us keep it under a close eye. Let's not become a nation where abortions are seen as a common and culturally accepted type of birth control. Let's avoid the situation at all costs by becoming a sexually responsible culture.

No comments: