I took some time to read an article about the situation in Zimbabwe and the thousands that are fleeing into South Africa in search for food and a little bit of money. More and more women and children are making this trek. For those who have money, it's a matter of a few simple bribes to cross the border. But for the majority who live there, it means crossing the crocodile-infested and dangerous river waters. Along the way there are many who offer to help who turn out to simply be robbers and rapists. Interviews with several women and children who crossed described men who offered to help them cross only to rob, beat, or rape them once to the other side. One mother with her baby was helped by two men who, once they had crossed, each raped her while the other held the baby. One director of a shelter mentioned that they can find the boys who make it across sleeping under bridges or in alleys- but the girls they can rarely find. Soon after the girls cross, they are found by men who "turn these young girls into women."
So as I was sitting in the Wilkinson center eating my lunch and reading this article- I just began to cry. I've done that a couple of times this week, so I admit all the stress of the last month has me on the edge emotionally. All the same, it is so incomprehensible to me that I walk around every day- safe and fed, protected and free. I can live my dreams. I can have hope. I can enjoy life without fear that my freedom and well-being as a woman can only come by giving into involuntary physical violation or abuse. I can walk as a woman in this country and not be scared of what might happen to me in broad daylight or that I will be degraded and mistreated because I am a woman- I can just walk around and enjoy my day as an educated and respected woman in my society, no big deal. But in many places in the world, women can't do that- some can't even dream of doing that. I am constantly amazed by the amount of freedom we have in this country. It is a type of freedom that few can imagine ever experiencing. The freedom to dream, to be who we are, to accomplish our dreams, to not be limited... Some might argue that's not true- we have social norms, unfair laws or policies, etc. However, from the point of reference of so many in the world, what we have is a dream- a fairy tale.
I am grateful that I have been given the opportunity to live in such a blessed land... but I pray that I will not take for granted what I have been given. I pray that I might not be selfish with that blessing. I pray that as I have been blessed, I might spend a lifetime learning how to bless the lives of others.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment